Saturday, April 13, 2013

Life with a Balance.

So, the last few months you may have been wondering what I’ve been up to. I’ve been posting plenty of recipes, but haven’t been talking much about personal things or our family. Truth is, I have been swamped since September with both House hold and a new mama responsibilities.. yeah you got that right we have an addition to our family of 4 which is 5 now, and it’s been challenging to keep up. 

My two girls just make me smile. Im blessed! And the little bundle of Joy.. ohh he sure knows how to keep mamma on her heels from this age on... Its been a roller coaster ride for past few months now!!

I’ve done a lot of food blogging in recent months, developing new recipes and posting some goodies from my cookbooks as well. Today, I am not posting ANY food pics – but I hope you’ll still stick around, read, and join my discussion (despite not having any visual food appeal)!

 Am a mother since past 8 years now... Being mother of three, People ask me often how do you manage and balance all the kids, hubby, and a seperate time for yourself???


My short reply is often “I’m not sure there is any balance“. We may wax poetic about how us moms can “have it all”, but is that really true? Can we? For me, motherhood and Housework has always been more of a juggling act than a balancing act. With all the demands of family and especially young kids  something has to give – eventually a ball is going to drop.

The pressure and stress that must arise from trying to keep on top of chores, errands, your household, kids’ activities, homework, and just simple “time” with children – to talk about daily joys or worries. I can only imagine how trying it must be to keep on top of day-to-day life.

As I said, something’s gotta’ give. For me, it’s two areas (1) social and leisure time and (2) household. I rarely go to movies or concerts or events or dinners or even tea with my girlfriends (they are nodding their heads right now). Hubby and I have little time together as a couple too, partly because we are struggling with babysitting right now, and we don’t have that extended family support which is such a blessing when raising children (even for their connectedness with other loving adults). And Yes.. right now my household is a mess i cant even describe it in words.. where is that OCD mommy hiding herself... i can see u.. but she cant come out coz she's had one too many sleepless nights.. giving her OCDness a spin... Lolz

At times it feels like you are not doing anything particularly well! Anyone relate to that? In my heart of hearts, I know that really I AM doing a good job with my family, and more importantly that I AM a pretty good mom (I have my shit days, and even shittier hours). Yet, I think as women, we are often tough on ourselves, because we hold ourselves to high standards and expectations – rooted in our goals for our family.

How it’s still so busy even with the kids in school, catching up on household chores and also being part of school volunteering, and more. Then, once the kids are out of school, our days truly just begin! With homework and activities, dinner hour, and bath/bedtime and getting ready for the next day – there is so much to do in those after-school hours.

There are many things I know I should do more. I know I should meditate, have more “me” time like spa visits (ahhhh!), get out for girls’ day out, and also get away to social activities more often. Maybe in time. I’m sure I could fit in even 10 minutes of meditation a day, that might be the best place to start.
As for “finding the balance”, that may forever remain elusive … at least until our children are much older and independent – and by that time I will likely miss the noise and chaos of my current days. ;) 

How do you feel? Are you a mother working from home or outside the home? How do YOU do it all? Do you feel you have “balance”? Do you feel a lot of pressure from peers and family and society to “get back to work”? Does that upset you? What are your coping strategies?  

Please share your thoughts and experiences. I’d really like to hear from you on this, and if you have any links to share – feel free to do so. 

XoXo,
Shaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Stopping by.... would love to hear from u :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...